Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND)

This report outlines the way in which Wansdyke School, including its Complex Needs Resource Base, aims to meet the needs of children who are identified as having, at some point in their time at Wansdyke, Special Educational Needs or Disabilities.

Overview of Wansdyke School

Wansdyke School has one class per year group, and all classes have approximately 30 children in them, apart from the Resource Base which has places for 20 children.

Wansdyke School is one of the few schools across Wiltshire that also offer provision to children with Statements of SEN or Educational Health Care Plans (EHCPs) who are identified as having complex learning needs that may not be able to be met through usual mainstream provision. This provision can only be accessed through the decision making process at Wiltshire Council’s Special Educational Needs Panel and the Annual Review Process. Admission to Wansdyke School does not fast track a pupil to the Resource Base provision.

There are currently 232 children on role at Wansdyke, 24 of whom attend the Resource Base provision.

Wansdyke School is currently supporting learners, across mainstream and the Complex Needs Resource Base, with a variety of needs including speech and language difficulties, visual impairments, hearing impairments, physical impairments, global developmental delay, Autism Spectrum Condition, Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Dyslexia and other learning difficulties

What is the Local Offer?

What is SEND?

Who can I talk to about my child’s Special Educational Needs or Disability?

Every teacher is a teacher of every child.

You can contact your child’s class teacher about your child’s needs. This can be done by speaking to them at the beginning or end of the school day. You may wish to make an appointment to guarantee quality of time with the class teacher. You may also wish to invite the SEND Manager as part of the meeting. You can also attend the Parent Consultation Evenings which take place in October and April each school year.

Who is in charge of SEND at the School?

Our SEND Manager at Wansdyke School is Hannah Knight. She has worked at Wansdyke for 12 years in the Complex Needs Resource Base and is now also supporting mainstream children with SEND. Hannah is supported by the school’s Link Governor for SEND, Paul Sullivan. Hannah welcomes communication from parents and other professionals and you are invited to contact her in person, by telephone or by email, should you have any questions about our school and its provision.

What provision is available to support children with Special Educational Needs and what is our whole school approach to the curriculum and to learning?

How does the school identify and assess children with Special Educational Needs?

Assess, Plan, Do, Review.

How will I know my child is doing well and how will you help me support my child’s learning?

What opportunities will there be to discuss my child’s progress?

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being, emotional and social development?

How will my child be able to communicate their views?

What other agencies work in partnership with the school to improve progress and support my child with Special Educational Needs?

School will sometimes make referrals to the above agencies in order to best meet the need of individual children.

The school may also liaise with outside agencies and professionals who can support parents and carers.


Partnership with Parents and Carers

At Wansdyke we value the partnership between home and school and the strength of working as a team around the child.

What training and development is there for staff supporting children with SEND?

How are children supported in making a positive transition to their next school or phase of education?

What further development is planned within the school to develop provision for children with SEND?

Who can I contact if I need further information?

Hannah Knight, SEND Manager, slcmini@wansdyke.wilts.sch.uk or telephone (01380) 725234.

How can I raise concerns if I need to and with whom?

Concerns should first be raised with the class teacher, alternatively, you may wish to raise concerns with one of the following people:

You may also wish to follow our Complaints Procedure, information for which can be found on the school website.

SEND Policy January 2020

SEN Information Report January 2020

SEND Offer 2019-20

Accessibility Policy January 2020

Accessibility plan 2018-21

Disability Access Audit