SEND Information

This report outlines the way in which Wansdyke School, including its Complex Needs Resource Base, aims to meet the needs of children who are identified as having, at some point in their time at Wansdyke, Special Educational Needs or Disabilities.

Overview of Wansdyke School

Wansdyke School has one class per year group, and all classes have approximately 30 children in them, apart from the Resource Base which has places for 24 children (moving to 28 from September).

Wansdyke School is one of the few schools across Wiltshire that also offer provision to children with Statements of SEN or Educational Health Care Plans (EHCPs) who are identified as having complex learning needs that may not be able to be met through usual mainstream provision. This provision can only be accessed through the decision making process at Wiltshire Council’s Special Educational Needs Panel and the Annual Review Process. Admission to Wansdyke School does not fast track a pupil to the Resource Base provision.

There are currently 232 children on role at Wansdyke, 24 of whom attend the Resource Base provision.

Wansdyke School is currently supporting learners, across mainstream and the Complex Needs Resource Base, with a variety of needs including speech and language difficulties, visual impairments, hearing impairments, physical impairments, global developmental delay, Autism Spectrum Condition, Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Dyslexia and other learning difficulties

Please follow the below link to view all of our policies, including our SEND Policy:

Wansdyke School Policies


What is the Local Offer?

  • It is a statutory requirement that all schools outline their SEND provision and support through their SEN Information Report and the SEN Policy.
  • We also link with the local council’s local offer (link below)

What is SEND?

  • The 2015 SEN Code of Practise says a child has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:
  • Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or
  • Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools.

Who can I talk to about my child's special education needs or disability?

Every teacher is a teacher of every child.

You can contact your child’s class teacher about your child’s needs. This can be done by speaking to them at the beginning or end of the school day. You may wish to make an appointment to guarantee quality of time with the class teacher. You may also wish to invite the SEND Manager as part of the meeting. You can also attend the Parent Consultation Evenings which take place in October and April each school year.

Who is in charge of SEND at the school?

Our SEND Manager at Wansdyke School is Hannah Knight. She has worked at Wansdyke for 12 years in the Complex Needs Resource Base and is now also supporting mainstream children with SEND. Hannah is supported by the school’s Link Governor for SEND, Paul Sullivan. Hannah welcomes communication from parents and other professionals and you are invited to contact her in person, by telephone or by email, should you have any questions about our school and its provision.

What provision is available to support children with Special Educational Needs and what is our whole school approach to the curriculum and to learning?

  • Our curriculum is adapted and differentiated to meet the needs of all children, providing the right level of support where needed to enable children to access all areas of learning.
  • At Wansdyke we aim to offer an inclusive education for learners who may have difficulties with communication and interaction, cognition and learning, social, emotional and mental health, sensory and/or physical needs.
  • It is part of our Governor Strategy and expectations that children will realise their full potential. However, because a child has SEND we realise that we have to adapt our provision so that children can make good progress.
  • Teachers adapt planning so that individuals have specific learning outcomes through personalised learning and high quality differentiation.
  • Withdrawing children from class for short learning sessions with the aim of developing the child’s progress and closing the gap in attainment between themselves and their peers.
  • Providing extra adult support in class so that children have the right amount of support in accessing the curriculum.
  • Liaising with outside agencies and following their advice on how to help children learn.
    How is the school accessible to children with special educational needs or disabilities?
  • The 2015 SEN Code of Practise says: Schools have duties to make reasonable adjustments for disabled children and young people to support medical conditions.
  • At Wansdyke we aim to adapt buildings and furniture if necessary so that children are not restricted from using the school fully.
  • We liaise with outside agencies to ensure that children are able to access learning, and this may include the use of specialist equipment and furniture.

How does the school identify and assess children with Special Educational Needs?

  • Some children may start school with their SEND needs already identified, in which case we will work with the existing setting and professionals, as well as the parents or carers to ensure a smooth transition and that the right provision is able to be put in place to support the child.
  • Parents and carers may approach the class teacher and/or SEND Manager regarding concerns they have about their child. Alternatively, the class teacher may have concerns about a child that they wish to discuss with the parents or carers and the SEND Manager.
  • Where there is a shared concern, the class teacher, in collaboration with the parents or carers and the SEND Manager will complete a document called the Wiltshire Graduated Response to SEND Support (GRSS) and is available for all children from Early Years, Key Stage One and Key Stage 2. This documents enables us to identify areas of need for individual learners and also signposts us to additional support and strategies that can be put in place to support learners.
  • Depending on the level of support needed by a child, the school, in discussion with parents or carers and the child, may seek to begin completing a Learning Plan (to identify areas of development and focus for the child) which will set targets to be worked on with the child to support their progress.
  • For some learners, the school may recommend that a My Support Plan is completed to develop a detailed overview of a child’s needs and how best to support them. This may be because the needs of the child are not able to be met through the Learning Plan alone and is intended as a first step towards requesting specialist support, advice and/or resources which may lead on to the request for a statutory Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) which is known in Wiltshire as a My Plan.
  • We make regular assessments against the statutory assessment for the Early Years Foundation Stage and the National Curriculum

Assess, Plan, Do, Review

  • At Wansdyke we are constantly assessing the children, focussing our planning and teaching on the child’s needs and progress and then reviewing what is working or not working for the child and how we can use this knowledge to inform future planning, teaching and assessment.
  • We use the age related skills and expectations to assess children’s learning and next steps which informs our teaching, and then may lead us to consider the additional support a child may need as part of this process.
  • We aim to identify any special educational need as soon as possible which enables us to put the right support in place for our learners.
  • We also use the target setting process involved in a child’s Learning Plan, My Support Plan or My Plan/EHCP/Statement of SEN and review these regularly to ensure the cycle of assess, plan, do, review is being successful.
  • Where the GRSS is being used to support the identification of a child’s needs we will also review progress against the different areas of needs that were identified for the individual child.
  • The SEND Manager works with class teachers on a daily basis, but also attends the termly Data Meetings in which all children’s progress is considered and where additional support is needed and what this may look like.

How will I know my child is doing well and how will you help me support my child’s learning?

  • We have an open door policy at Wansdyke and encourage parents and carers to contact their child’s class teacher with any questions and to seek information on their child’s learning.
  • Parents will receive information on their child’s learning and progress through the Annual School Report which is sent out in the Summer Term each academic year.
  • The SEND Manager shares information on support for your child regularly through email as well as class teachers sharing their teaching plans on a termly basis. The class teacher and SEND Manager may also send home specific strategies and resources to help you support your child at home.
  • Parents will also receive updates on their child’s attainment and progress through the sharing of assessment in Parent Consultation evenings and alongside the Annual School Report. This information will inform parents of skills that are yet to be mastered by their child and their progress against the expected standards for each year group.

What opportunities will there be to discuss my child’s progress?

  • Twice yearly Parent Consultation evenings which run in October and April.
  • Appointments requested by parents and carers.
  • For children who have a My Support Plan, My Plan (EHCP) or Statement of SEN there will also be additional meetings to ensure that provision is correct for individual children and that needs are being successfully met.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being, emotional and social development?

  • Emotional Literacy Support Assistant (ELSA) who supports children with a range of difficulties including bereavement, parent separation, self-esteem, resilience and self-worth, to name just a few.
  • Calm Club is an alternative lunchtime provision for children who struggle with the busy lunch hall and/or playground. The children have a quiet space that they can use away from the hustle and bustle where they can read, draw and colour.
  • Possible referral to the School Nurse or Learning Disability Nurse.
  • Possible referral to the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS).
  • Class teachers will also engage with any of the services that may be referred to.

How will my child be able to communicate their views?

  • Children are engaged in the writing of the Individual Education Plans (IEPs)
  • Observations of individual children are also used as a means to gain their views.
  • Children are invited to complete contributions and attend SEN Review Meetings.

What other agencies work in partnership with the school to improve progress and support my child with Special Educational Needs?

  • Local Authority Specialist Special Educational Needs Service (SSENS).
  • Local Authority SEND Leadworkers
  • Educational Psychologist.
  • Speech and Language Therapist.
  • Occupational Therapist.
  • Visual Impairment Team.
  • Physical Impairment Team.
  • School Nurse.
  • Learning Disability Nurses Team.
  • Local Authority Behaviour Support.
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS).
  • Consultant Paediatricians and General Practitioners.

School will sometimes make referrals to the above agencies in order to best meet the need of individual children.

The school may also liaise with outside agencies and professionals who can support parents and carers.